What Is Cancellation Of GST Registration?
When GSTIN number issued to the registered taxpayer cancelled by the taxpayer himself voluntarily or by the central tax authority, it is known as cancellation of GST registration. GST cancellation is basically done to surrender GST number and to opt out of GST scheme. It is mandatory for certain businesses to apply for GST registration. After GST cancellation, you will not be considered as a registered person under GST scheme and you don’t have to pay or collect any GST. If you are still running your business after GST cancellation, you will be liable to pay high penalties to the income tax department. Tax officer is responsible for cancellation of GST registration in India.
In case of voluntary registration, cancellation application can only be made after one year from the date of registration by the registered taxpayer.
Reasons for GST Cancellation
There are various reasons for GST cancellation which are as follows –
Persons registered under any of the previous tax laws are not liable for registration under GST act.
For example – The threshold limit for registration of already registered persons under VAT was Rs.10 Lakhs which has been extended to Rs.40 lakhs for GST registration and therefore persons who were registered under VAT are not liable for registration under GST scheme.
- Discontinuation of business is also considered one of the reasons for GST cancellation. GST number can be cancelled in the following situations –
Who Can Cancel the GST registration?
There is a standard procedure which is to be followed by the tax officer for cancellation of GST registration in India. A show cause will be sent by the tax officer to the registered person that he or she needs to answer within 7 working days from the date of GST cancellation order. The registered person needs to reply this notice within the specified time unless the GST registration will be cancelled by the tax authorities.
Cancellation of GST registration can be done by the following persons –
- By the taxpayer
- By tax officer
- By legal heirs (in case of death of taxpayer)
Who can file for cancellation of GST registration in India?
The following persons can file for GST cancellation online in India –
Who Cannot File For Cancellation of GST registration in India?
Following persons cannot file for GST cancellation online in India –
How to Cancel GST Registration?
Procedure for GST cancellation by the tax officer
Certain procedure has been specified by the tax department for cancellation of GST registration. Following steps must be followed by the applicant while filing application for cancellation of GST registration in India –
In the first step, a show cause notice will be sent by the tax officer to the registered taxpayer via form GST REG-17
The registered tax person needs to reply this show cause notice explaining “why this registration should not be cancelled?” within 7 working days from the date of service of notice.
In case the tax officer is satisfied with the reply sent by the person, he or she will drop the proceedings and issue an order via form GST REG-20.
In case tax officer found the reply unsatisfactory, he or she will issue an order via form GST REG-19. This order must be sent by the tax officer within 30 days from the date of reply.
Procedure for GST cancellation by the taxpayer voluntarily
Go to the website www.gst.gov.in and fill your username and password.
Choose option “Application for cancellation of registration” from registration tab given under “Services” menu
After choosing this option, you will get form GST REG-16 displayed over the screen. You will get fields like GSTIN, business name & address auto-filled in the form.
Next, you need to choose the reason for cancellation from the drop down list.
In the next step, you need to provide the details about the stock value and its tax liability.
In order to set-off your tax liability, you need to fill this value either in electronic cash register or credit register or both.
Tick the verification box and enter the name of the authorized signatory & place in the boxes given below.
Information needed to cancel GST registration
In order to cancel GST registration, you need to provide the following information –
GSTIN of business
GSTIN number is the number allotted to the registered individual after getting registration under GST scheme. It is a 15 digit unique identification number given to every registered person under GST scheme.
It is necessary to provide the details of closing stock hold by the taxpayer at the time of ceasing the business. You need to pay the credit lying in a stock along with your return.
Details of pending tax liability, fine or a penalty
A person registered under GST needs to furnish the details of pending tax liabilities such as fines and penalties to the tax authorities. Any pending tax liability, fine or a penalty should also be paid along with the return.
Details of input tax credit
Every registered GST taxpayer need to furnish details about the input tax credit claimed by him in the past. This information is also considered as one of the important information to be shared with the tax authorities at the time of GST cancellation.
GST Registration Cancellation Forms
It is important to understand the use of GST cancellation forms as they vary depending upon the situation. There are various forms used for cancellation of GST registration in India and the same are mentioned in the table below –
|FORM GST REG-16||Voluntary cancellation by registered user|
|FORM GST REG-17||Show cause notice issued by the officer|
|FORM GST REG-18||Reply to show cause notice by the taxpayer|
|FORM GST REG-19||Order for dissolution|
|FORM GST REG-20||To stop cancellation proceedings|
|FORM GST REG-21||Application to revoke GST cancellation|
|FORM GST REG-22||Order to revoke cancellation|
Information required for filling cancellation form
The information required for filing cancellation form is as follows –
- Name, complete address, E-mail-ID and the registered mobile number of the taxpayer.
- Valid reason of cancellation and desired date of cancellation.
- Details related to input stock & capital stock, input available on semi-finished and finished goods. You need to fill these values manually at the time of filing tax liability.
- In order to set off your tax liability, you need to fill either electronic cash register or credit register.
- Details of previous return filed by the taxpayer.
Filing Your Final GST Return (GST F8)
GST 8 form is the final GST return issued by the GST department containing all the relevant information till the last date of GST deregistration. It is mandatory for every GST registered business –
Effective Date of Cancellation
Effective date of cancellation means the date of cancellation of GST registration. Sometimes taxpayer applies for revocation of GST cancellation; therefore effective date of cancellation may vary according to the situation.
Revocation of GST Cancellation
What is revocation of cancellation?
The revocation of GST cancellation means reversing the decision of “cancelling the registration” and considering it again as a valid GST registration.
When is revocation of cancellation applicable?
Revocation of cancellation of GST registration is applicable at the time when GST registration of a taxable person is cancelled by the tax officer. You must apply for revocation of GST cancellation within 30 days from the date of cancellation. You need to submit an application for the revocation of cancellation of registration to the tax authorities. Tax officer has the authority to accept or reject the application sent by the taxpayer for GST revocation.
Procedure for revocation of GST cancellation
- In the first step, a person registered under GST scheme can submit an application via form GST REG-21 (in case registration is cancelled by suo moto by the tax officer)
- Registered person must submit the application to the tax authorities within 30 days via GST portal.
- If tax officer become satisfied, he or she revokes the process of cancellation by issuing order via form GST REG-22 within 30 days from the date of receipt of the application.
- In case tax officer is not satisfied with the application sent by the taxpayer for revocation, he or she can reject the application via form GST REG-05 and sends a show cause notice to the applicant. The applicant needs to answer this notice within 7 days from the date of notice. It is sent by the tax officer to get explanation from the taxpayer about “why this application should not be rejected”.
- After receiving the reply from the applicant, tax officer needs to take the decision within 30 days from the date of notice received by the taxpayer via form GST REG-24.
What Is Included In Our Package?
GST Cancellation FAQ’S
GST registration can be cancelled in the following situations –
- Discontinuation in business
- Change in constitution of business
- When the business turnover of a GST registered person is below the threshold limit.
- Non-filing of GST return
- When GST registration obtained by an individual by means of fraud, willful misstatement or suppression of facts.
- Non-compliance of GST rules & provisions.
- When an individual does not commence the business within 6 months after taking voluntary GST registration. In such cases, GST officer has the authority to cancel GST registration.
In order to check GST cancellation status, you need to follow the steps given below -
- Go to website www.gst.gov.in and click on “Track application status” under services menu.
- In the second step, enter your ARN number, type the characters given in the box below and click on search.
- On the basis of ARN search, result will be displayed over the screen and provide you information about your application status i.e. Approved or not approved. You will also get a mail from GST department of the government that whether your application for cancellation of registration is approved or not.
In case of GST number cancellation, you need to apply for revocation of GST cancellation through GST portal online –
- Go to website www.gst.gov.in to access GST portal.
- Enter your username & password
- Choose option “Application for revocation of cancelled registration” from registration tab given under “Services” menu.
- Enter reason of GST cancellation and attach a supporting document.
- Tick the verification box & enter the name of authorized signatory and place in the given boxes.
- In the final step, click on “Submit with DSC” or “Submit with EVC” and submit the form to the tax authorities.
In the case of voluntary cancellation, a registered tax payer needs to apply for GST cancellation within 30 days from the order of cancellation.
GSTIN number is a unique 15 digit identification number allotted to every registered person under GST scheme.
In order to activate cancelled GST registration, you need to apply to the tax authorities within 30 days from the date of cancellation order. It can only be activated in case when registration is cancelled by the tax officer. A registered person cannot go for revocation of GST cancellation in case the cancellation is done voluntarily.
Yes, we can cancel GST registration without filing returns. Many persons who are not liable for GST registration can submit a form GST REG-29 electronically on GST portal.
- Discontinuation of business or business closure
- Business transfer on account of amalgamation, sale, merger, de-merger, leased or otherwise.
- No requirement to pay GST
- Change in business constitution
- No business activity
How FinacBooks help in cancelling the GST Cancellation?
FinacBooks is a leading Indian portal providing accounting, finance & taxation services to small businesses. We are having more than 10 years of experience in helping GST registered users to cancel GST registrations at a least possible price. We will guide you through the entire process of cancellation of GST registration. To avail the best deals on cancellation of GST registration, kindly call us at 8800221252 or you can also e-mail us at email@example.com
Latest News & Updates
- Jan 16,2021
- Jan 15,2021
- Jan 14,2021
- Jan 13,2021
- Jan 12,2021
- Jan 11,2021
- Jan 09,2021
Deadline for filing income-tax returns (ITR) for FY 2019-20 (AY 2020-21)Jan 10th ,2021
Monthly GSTR 7 (Summary of Tax Deducted at Source (TDS) and deposited) for December 2020Jan 10th ,2021
Monthly GSTR 8 (Summary of Tax Collected at Source (TCS) and deposited by e-commerce operators) for December 2020Jan 10th ,2021
Due date for Payment of TDS/ TCS for Oct 20- ITJan 10th ,2021
GSTR 1 for December 2020 (turnover more than INR. 1.50 Crore)Jan 11th ,2021
Monthly GSTR 6 for December 2020Jan 13th ,2021