Home / ESI Return Filing Services
Updated on 27 Oct 2021 9.00 AM IST | 4 min read
What is Employee's State Insurance (ESI)?
ESI stands for Employee state insurance. Employee state insurance is a self-financing social security & health insurance scheme offering medical & disablement benefits to Indian workers. It is governed by ESI act, 1948. It is an autonomous body whose funds are managed by employee state Insurance Corporation under the ministry of labour & employment. It offers tremendous benefits to employees. Its main aim is to provide medical & cash benefits to employees and their families through their large network of offices, dispensaries & hospitals throughout India.
All entities registered under ESI act must file ESI returns. As per ESI act, any employee earning Rs.15000 or less per month must contribute 1.75% to the ESI fund whereas employer must contribute 4.75% towards ESI fund.
What Is Included In Our Package?
Documents to Maintained Regularly For ESI Return Filing
The documents needed to be regularly maintained for filing ESI returns are as follows –
- Register for Form 5
- Register for wages
- Attendance register
- Register for any accidents occur within the office premises.
- Monthly challans & returns submitted for ESI
Benefits Of Employee State Insurance Corporation (ESIC)
The employees registered under ESIC is entitled to the following benefits given below –
How To File Employee State Insurance (ESI) Returns in India?
There are two ways to File Employee State Insurance (ESI) Returns
- File Employee State Insurance (ESI) Returns Through Challan
- File Employee State Insurance (ESI) Returns Through Website
File Employee State Insurance (ESI) Returns Through Challan
Every ESI registered company has to file ESI returns half-yearly. They have to mention all the changes made in the preceding year. ESI contribution should be submitted every half-yearly between 1st April to 30th September and from 1st October to 31st march to the nearest branch office or ESIC regional commissioner attaching form no.5 with ESI challan. It should be filed within 42 days from the last date being 12th November for period April to September & 12th May for October to march.
How To File Employee State Insurance (ESI) Returns Through Website
These steps should be followed while filing ESI returns through website –
- In the first step, Go to ESI website – www.esic.nic.in and use your 17 digit registration number as user-id and password (given by ESIC) and login the account.
- After logging in, go to monthly contribution section on the home page and select “view RC”.
- When you select “view RC”, details of the employer contribution towards ESI as well as the wages details will be displayed on the screen
- In the fourth step, you have to verify all the details. While verifying the details, if you noticed that you have done a short payment for any employee. Then, you have to generate supplementary challans by clicking on “Modify challan “option given under section of monthly contribution to make the due payment.
- In the last step, kindly do self-certification given under “monthly contribution” section. Click on declaration check box and submit the return. In case you are employing 40 or more employees, kindly upload CA certificate before clicking the submit button.
Penalties for Not Filing ESI Returns
Not filing ESI returns in time will attract penalties and they are as follows –
- Any violation of the provision of the act will leads to imprisonment up to 2 years & fine up to Rs.5000
- Continuous violation of the act will leads to imprisonment up to 5 years & fine up to Rs.25000.