Home / Company Share Transfer
Updated on 28 May 2023 9.00 AM IST | 4 min read
Company Share Transfer in Private Limited Company
Share transfer is a process by which we can transfer the existing shares from one person to another person either by sale or gift or generally to introduce a new shareholder. If a company is having enough shares, it is very easy to transfer shares in a limited company after the incorporation. Therefore, shares are transferable like a movable property, if there are no restrictions imposed on share transfer under the articles of association.
What Is Included In Our Package?
Persons Involved In The Process Of Share Transfer
The parties involved in the process of share transfer are given below –
- Subscribers to the memorandum
- Company (Whether listed/unlisted)
- Legal representative (In case of deceased)
Procedure for Share Transfer
The procedure for share transfer is as follows –
- Transfer deed - Share transfer deed is an instrument used for transferring shares from one person to another. There are two parties involved in a transfer deed – Transferor & transferee. Transferor is a person who transfers his or her shares to another person whereas transferee is a person to whom the shares are transferred. Transfer deed should be duly stamped & delivered to the company along with share transfer certificate. SH-4 form is used to transfer shares from one person to another.
- Acknowledgementd - Some companies sends a notice or acknowledgement of the instrument to the transferor and some companies issue transfer receipt after transferring of shares. Basically, a notice or acknowledgement is usually in the form of a letter containing checklist of the transfer documents. The company will not register the transfer, if the transfer application is partly paid by the transferor alone and there is no communication from the side of transferee.
- Document scrutiny - In the third stage, scrutiny of all the documents takes place. All documents are scrutinized within 3 to 5 days from the date of receipt of the transfer of documents.
In case the documents are not acceptable, they are returned back to the transferee. Documents are also returned in case the signature of the transferor on the transfer instrument differs from the signature on the company’s record.
- Approval from the board - In the fourth step, if everything is correct and accepted after scrutiny of documents, transfer of share will be approved by the board. If articles of association empowers board to delegate its power in relation to approval of share transfer. The power may be delegated to any other committee who might not be the company’s directors.
- Registration - Registration is very necessary to become a member of a company. A transfer is incomplete without doing registration of share transfer. A share transfer form is filled by the transferee and agrees to accept the shares. When a company approves the form and registers the transfer, the transferee name is added to the registry of the members of the company. Maintaining the register is not a mandatory requirement.
- Delivery of share Certificate - When transfer becomes effective after the approval by the company. The company hast to deliver the share certificate within 1 month from the date of receipt. The share certificate must be endorsed with the respective name of the transferee.
Penalties for any Default in Share Transfer
Minimum of Rs.25000 is to be charged from the company as a penalty for any default. The maximum amount chargeable to penalize the company is Rs.500000.
In case officer is penalized, minimum of Rs.10000 and maximum of Rs.100000 will be charged as penalty.
Share Transfer FAQ’S
What Clients Say
Goods and Services Tax (GST) has revolutionised India's indirect taxation system since its implementation on July 1, 2017. It replaced... Read More
As part of "One Nation, One Tax," the Indian government implemented a new tax known as the "Goods and Services Tax" on July 1, 2017. To... Read More
In India, buying and selling real estate is complicated and requires a tonne of paperwork. With the implementation of new real estate rules... Read More
Latest News & Updates
- May 27,2023
MSME ministry makes Aadhaar authentication for informal micro units voluntary to boost Udyam registrationMay 26,2023
- May 26,2023
Centre proposes to reduce GST on flex fuel automobiles; GST cut on hybrid vehicles also in the pipelineMay 25,2023
- May 24,2023
- May 23,2023
- May 22,2023
Due date for deposit of Tax deducted/collected for the month of April, 2023. However, all sum deducted/collected by an office of the government shall be paid to the credit of the Central Government on the same day where tax is paid without production of an Income-tax ChallanMay 07th ,2023
Due date for furnishing of Form 24G by an office of the Government where TDS/TCS for the month of April, 2023 has been paid without the production of a challanMay 15th ,2023
Due date for furnishing statement in Form no. 3BB by a stock exchange in respect of transactions in which client codes have been modified after registering in the system for the month of April, 2023May 15th ,2023
Quarterly statement of TCS deposited for the quarter ending March 31, 2023May 15th ,2023
Due date for issue of TDS Certificate for tax deducted under section 194-IB in the month of March, 2023?May 15th ,2023
Due date for issue of TDS Certificate for tax deducted under section 194-IA in the month of March, 2023May 15th ,2023