What Is FSSAI Registration/Food License?
FSSAI stands for Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. Applying for food license or FSSAI registration is mandatory before starting any food business. All the Restaurants, traders and manufacturers involved in food business must obtain a 14 digit license or registration number and it should be printed on all food packages.
This innovative step is taken by the government by starting a food licensing & registration system to make sure that every product should undergo certain quality checks to make reduction in the cases of adulteration, substandard products and to improve the accountability of manufacturers.
Types of FSSAI Food Licenses
Food license registration is mandatory for every individual involved in procurement, manufacturing, distribution, processing, packaging and storage of food business. It is essential for each and every food related business to opt for FSSAI food licenses as per their eligibility and get their registration done to save themselves from the penalties and the legal charges imposed by the government. Businesses involved in food activities need to apply for different types of FSSAI food licenses based on turnover, business scale and type of activity. Due to different types of FSSAI licenses, most of the businesses generally get confused about the types of food licenses they’re eligible for. The three license categories differ on the basis of scale of business operations are mentioned below along with their criteria.
There are three types of FSSAI Food Licenses -
- FSSAI Basic License
- FSSAI State License
- FSSAI Central License
Lets discuss Types of FSSAI Licence in detail -
1. FSSAI Basic License
It is mandatory for food business operators such as retailers, marketers, distributors, transporters, storage unit, petty food manufacturers and small sized manufacturers to obtain FSSAI basic license registration. The FSSAI basic registration is applicable on startups or small businesses which are having annual turnover below Rs.12 lakhs. The minimum tenure for this license is 1 year and the maximum tenure is 5 years. This kind of registration can be easily upgraded to state license as your sales graph increases.
FSSAI Basic License Eligibility Criteria
2. FSSAI State License
The FSSAI state license is applicable on medium sized businesses which are having annual turnover between 12-20 Crore rupees. It is mandatory for every medium sized food businesses such as restaurants, hotels and food manufacturers to obtain state food license from the state authority. The minimum tenure for this license is 1 year and the maximum tenure is 5 years.
FSSAI State License Eligibility Criteria:-
- Food business operators such as retailers, wholesalers, distributors, suppliers, food vending establishments, clubs, canteens, restaurant and hotel owners having annual turnover between Rs.12 Lakhs to Rs.20 crores are eligible to apply for FSSAI state license.
- Hotels having 4 star rating or less
- Proprietary foods
- Dairy units (including milk chilling units) with a maximum capacity of handling or processing b/w 500 to 50000 litres per day.
- Storage capacity of less than 50000 metric tonnes annually
- Businesses engaged in production and processing of vegetable oil with the procedure of solvent extraction & refineries (including oil expeller unit) having turnover between Rs.12 Lakhs – Rs.20 crores annually.
- Business having slaughtering capacity of -
- All food processing units including re-packers having minimum capacity of 100kg/litre to maximum capacity of 2 metric tonnes per day.
3. FSSAI Central License
It is mandatory for food business operators such as importers, airports, seaports, 100% export oriented units, large manufacturers and the operators in the central government agencies to obtain central food license. It is issued by the central government. The FSSAI central license is applicable on large businesses having annual turnover of more than Rs.20 crore. In case your business is operating in one or more state, you need to obtain the central license for your head office too. This license is also needed when you need to import/export food products or supply the same at the government offices. The minimum tenure for this license is 1 year and the maximum tenure is 5 years.
FSSAI Central License Eligibility Criteria: -
- Food business operators such as retailer, suppliers, restaurants, distributors having annual turnover of more than Rs.20 crore are eligible to apply for FSSAI central license.
- Businesses engaged in manufacturing & processing of vegetable oil having capacity of over 2 metric tonnes per day by the procedure of solvent extraction & factories (including oil expeller unit)
- Hotel having 5 star rating or above
- Businesses such as dhaba, canteen, club and other food vending establishments having branches in more than one state & having annual turnover exceeding Rs.12 Lakhs.
- Storage capacity of more than 50000 metric tonnes annually
- Wholesalers having turnover of less than Rs.30 crores.
- Every importer including import of food ingredient or additives.
- Involvement of 100% export oriented units in food production or processing.
- Caterers working in railways, airlines, defense, seaport, airport under central government or related agencies.
- Dairy units (including chilling units) having maximum capacity of handling or processing over 50000 litres per day,
- Businesses having slaughtering capacity of minimum 50 large animals or exceeding 150 small animals or exceeding 1000 poultry birds per day,
- All food processing units including re-packers excluding pulses, cereals & grains milling units having capacity of over 2 metric tonnes on per day basis.
- All food business operator involved in production of any food item, additive or its ingredient with the help of new technology whose safety has not been established yet by FSSAI.
What is FSSAI Registration Fee or Cost?
FSSAI registration cost is the license fee charged by the government from the food business operators. FSSAI registration fee is divided into two –
1. Government expense
Government expense is the application handling fee charged by the government.
FSSAI registration is divided into three different types –
- Basic FSSAI license
- State FSSAI license
- Central FSSAI license
The FSSAI fees for these registrations are mentioned below:
Basic FSSAI License Fees
Annual turnover below 12 lakhs - 100/- per year
|Type of application||Basic license Fee|
|Duplicate license||10% of the applicable license fee|
State FSSAI License Fees
Annual turnover above 12 lakhs and below 20 crores - 2000/- or 3000/- or 5000/- per year
|Type of application||State license fee|
|New applicationProduction of above 1 Metric Tons (MT) per day
Milk between 10001 to 50000 litre per day or milk solids between 501 to 2500 Metric Tons (MT) per annum
|Below 1 Metric Tons (MT) of production
Milk between 501 to 10000 litre per day or milk solids between 2.5 million tonne to 500 Metric Tons (MT) per annum
|Hotels up to 4 star||Rs.5000|
|All food service providers such as clubs, restaurants, boarding houses etc. Serving of food in canteens of schools, colleges, offices institutions, caterer banquet halls along with food catering arrangements, dashboards and other business operators||Rs.2000|
|Renewal license||Fees for license renewal depends upon number of years selected|
|Modification license||Fees for license modification is fees for 1 year per license modification|
|Duplicate license||10% of the applicable license fee|
Central FSSAI License Fees
Annual turnover above 20 crores - 7500/- per year
|Type of application||Central license Fee|
|Duplicate license||10% of the applicable license fee|
2. Expert expense
Expert expense is the application set up fee charged by the professionals.
Documents Required For The Food Safety and Standards Registration
Documentation for FSSAI license totally depends upon the type of license you are applying for. Document varies for each type of license - basic, state and central. You don’t have to go anywhere as the entire process can be done through online. You just have to fill FSSAI registration form along with the required FSSAI license documents in order to submit it online. The documents required for FSSAI registration process for each license are given below -
Document Required for Basic FSSAI license
Document Required for Central FSSAI license
Document Required for State FSSAI license
Procedure of Getting FSSAI License
You can easily file your FSSAI food license. The Procedure of Getting food safety and standards license takes around 50-60 days for completion. The steps for FSSAI registration to get food license for your business are given below –
You need to fill a simple FSSAI licensing registration Form A online and pay at your nearest FBO (Food Licensing & Registration).
When the payment gets confirmed, it will reflect in your FSSAI account. Next, you need to fill form B and submit the same to the government. There are various declarations & resolutions that are necessary to be filed along with your application such as self-declarations by the owner, board resolution etc. It should be prepared by a company secretary.
In the third step, you need to follow up with the government department in order to know your application status. Government may send your application back for editing. In case you fail to respond within 15 days, your application will get rejected.
In the last and the final step, government will review your application properly and take around 45-60 days in approving the same.
Getting FSSAI Licence with FinacBooks
Read Also: Tips to Avoid Delay in FSSAI Food License
Significance of FSSAI License Number Format
A 14 digit unique FSSAI license number is assigned to every food business operator and has its own significance. A 14 digit unique FSSAI license number format is a combination of business registration, state code, business enrollment year, quantity of enrolling master and maker’s permit number.
For ex – Suppose your FSSAI license 14 digit number is 2 06 14 05 7342011
- Number 2 denotes whether the business is registered or not
- Number 6 denotes the state code
- Number 14 denotes the enrollment year of the business
- Number 05 denotes the quantity of enrolling master
- Number 7342011 denotes maker’s permit number
FSSAI License Number Guidelines
Who Needs FSSAI License?
As per food safety standard act, it is mandatory for every business operator engaged in a food business to apply for FSSAI food license/registration. FSSAI registration is necessary for all small, medium and large sized businesses. Individuals engaged in small businesses such as hawkers, petty retailers, small scale manufacturers etc. having annual turnover of less than Rs.12 Lakhs per year must obtain basic license whereas transporters, traders, cabs, canteens, restaurants and hotel owners having annual turnover between 12-20 crore rupees per year must obtain state license. Large manufacturers, retailers, suppliers, restaurants, distributors having annual turnover of more than Rs.20 crores needs to obtain central license from the central authority.
FSSAI certificate is needed by the following food businesses
Benefits of Acquiring FSSAI License
There are various benefits a food operator gets after acquiring food safety and standards license. Hence, FSSAI license help food businesses in the following ways –
- FSSAI is widely recognized and build a good image of the company or business among the consumers.
- FSSAI license provides a platform for all individuals engaged in food businesses to produce good quality food products which can be put in comparison to international food standards.
- It enhances the credibility of the business.
- It is necessary when you are involved in business of exporting food products to other countries.
- FSSAI license emerges as a big change for the company and helps in expansion and growth by influencing the dependability and production of the company.
- When FSSAI registration is involved, businesses follow the important issues like hygiene and cleanliness too. It streamlines all the processes starting from manufacturing to distribution to selling of food products at the end.
- FSSAI also involved in setting up of guidelines and procedures to maintain quality standards of the accredited labs as per ISO 17025.
FSSAI Rules For Food Business
It is mandatory for all food business operators to follow FSSAI rules. Every food business operator in India need to abide by the following rules mentioned below –
It is mandatory for every individual engaged in the business of manufacturing, production, processing, packaging, distribution or storage of food to obtain FSSAI registration. After FSSAI registration, it is necessary for every food business to display a true copy of FSSAI license at food premises.
It is mandatory for every business operator to inform FSSAI in case of any change or modifications in food business activities.
Every food business license holder must employ at least one technical person to look after the production process. The person who manages the production process should possess –
- Degree in science with chemistry or bio chemistry or microbiology or food & nutrition.
- Any degree or diploma in food technology or dairy technology or dairy engineering or dairy chemistry or dairy microbiology or oil technology or veterinary science or hotel management.
- Any degree or diploma in any other discipline
The other FSSAI rule which every food business operator should follow is submission of their annual return by 31st May every year. Half yearly return can also be filed in case you are engaged in the business of handling or collecting or manufacturing of milk and milk products.
It is mandatory for all food business operators to make sure that food items are prepared, processed and stored in a clean and hygienic atmosphere and place.
What is the Validity of FSSAI License?
The rules pertaining to FSSAI license are complex and it cannot be understood easily. Every business operator needs to apply for FSSAI license renewal 30 days before the expiry of the existing license otherwise you need to face a fine of Rs.100 per day till the renewal is done. In case of lapsing of renewal within the stipulated time, old license become invalid and you need to apply for a new license. FSSAI licenses are issued to the food business operators for a period ranging from 1 to 5 years. The maximum validity of FSSAI license is 5 years.
What Is Included In Our Package?
FSSAI Registration FAQ's
To get the license from FSSAI for your restaurant, you need to fill the FSSAI license form on Finacbooks online and upload the necessary documents. Finacbooks will make your work easier and provide you license in a few days. Within 20 to 40 days, we will mail you the status of your license too.
How Finacbooks help in FSSAI Registration?
Finacbooks is a leading Indian portal of professional, experienced, dedicated and trusted Chartered accountants who offers accounting, financial and taxation solutions to individuals and small businesses all across India. We are having more than 10 years of experience in helping businesses providing FSSAI registration at a best possible price. We will guide you through the entire process of FSSAI Food License Registration. To avail the best deals on FSSAI registration, kindly call us at 8800221252 or you can also e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest News & Updates
- Oct 27,2021
- Oct 26,2021
- Oct 25,2021
- Oct 23,2021
- Oct 22,2021
- Oct 21,2021
- Oct 20,2021
Due date for deposit of tax deducted/collected for the month of September, 2021. However, all sum deducted/collected by an office of the government shall be paid to the credit of the Central Government on the same day where tax is paid without production of an Income-tax ChallanOct 07th ,2021
Due date for deposit of TDS for the period July 2021 to September 2021 when Assessing Officer has permitted quarterly deposit of TDS under section 192, 194A, 194D or 194HOct 07th ,2021
GSTR-7 Summary of Tax Deducted at Source (TDS) and deposited under GST lawsOct 10th ,2021
GSTR-8 Summary of Tax Collected at Source (TCS) by e-commerce operators under GST lawsOct 10th ,2021
GSTR 1 for Sep 2021 (turnover more than INR. 1.50 Crore)Oct 11th ,2021
GSTR-6 Details of Input Tax Credit (ITC) received and distributed by an Input Service Distributor (ISD)Oct 13th ,2021