The meaning of PF is Provident Fund. In the PF, both the employer and the employee contribute some money every month in the form of salary deduction monthly. EPF (Employee Provident Fund) balance is the amount contributed by both the employer as well as employee and interest amount of Epfo.
For the future use, each employee in the world requires epf account. If you own a EPF account, then you want to check the balance on a regular basis. Membership of EPF account offers various benefits to you. EPF is one of the best method for saving your future and saving.
EPF (Employee Provident Fund) is an important source of the employee’s saving. Timely receipt of EPF balance information can helps a person in planning the key expenses, which a person can fulfill by taking a loan against the EPF balance or withdraw some amount from the EPF. Secure access to EPF account balance will provide the information such as increment in their balance of PF account on a regular basis.
These are the important methods to properly check your PF account for the EPF balance. Checking the EPF account on a regular basis is a good method to save your future earnings. After the retirement, many employees face the financial crisis or problem. By using the EPF account, you can find the solutions for your financial problems, after the retirement.
The process of checking the EPF balance has been hassle free and very easy. You can check your EPF account balance anytime and from anywhere. There is no need to go to the EFP office and fill a form to check the EPF balance. In less than five minutes, you can easily check your EPF balance via the EPFO website, EPFO app, by giving a missed call, by sending an SMS, via UAN Number, PF statement, and EPF passbook.
There are seven ways to check your balance in the EPF account.
- Using the EPFO website
- By using the EPFO Android app
- By giving a missed call
- By sending an SMS
- By using UAN number
- By downloading EPF statement
- By using EPF balance passbook
Using EPFO Website
To check your EPF balance, you need to make ensure that your employer has activated your UAN number. UAN means Universal Account Number. All those employees who are enrolled for the EPF scheme, their UAN is unique. EPFO provides the UAN number. Irrespective of the number of companies they change, all the employees require to have only 1 UAN.
After the activation of the UAN number, you require to follow the steps given below.
- Visit the official website of the EPFO. Then click on the “Our Services” tab and from the dropdown list, select the “for employee” option.
- Under the “Services” option, click on the “Member Passbook” option.
- A login page will be displayed. Here, you need to input your UAN number as well as password after the activation.
- You can access your EPF account after login.
By Using EPFO Android App
- Before checking the EPF balance, you need to make sure that your employer activated your UAN number.
- From the Google play store, you can download “m-sewa” android app of EPFO to check the EPF balance.
- After downloading the app, click on “Member” and then click on “Balance/Passbook”.
- The next step is to input your registered mobile number and UAN. Against your UAN, the system will verify the registered mobile number. It shows an error, if the mobile number does not match. You can see your updated balance of EPF, if the mobile number match.
- An app named “Umang” is launched recently by Electronics and the IT Ministry. It combines various government services like EPF, NPS, crop insurance, gas booking, and Aadhar. To check your EPF balance, you can also use this app.
- After you installed the app from the Google play store, you can locate the EPFO option from the home page of the app below the head “Employee Centric Services” option.
By Giving a Missed Call
By giving a missed call, you can easily find out your EPF balance. For this you require to integrate your UAN with your KYC information like PAN, Aadhar, and your bank account. If you find any difficulty in doing this, then you can also take help from your employer.
After the integration of UAN with KYC details, you require to follow the steps given below.
- From your registered mobile number, give a missed call to 011-22901406.
- You will receive an SMS containing your EPF details, after giving the missed call.
By Sending An SMS
To find the information related to your EPF balance via SMS, your UAN number is integrated with your KYC details like PAN, Aadhar and Bank account. If you are not able to do that, then you can also take the help from your employer.
After integration of the UAN number with your KYC details, follow the steps given below.
- First you need to send SMS to number 7738299899.
- You require to send message EPFOHO UAN ENG. ENG is the first three characters of your choice of language. if you want to get the message in Hindi, then type EPFOHO UAN HIN. This feature is available in Bengali, Malayalam, Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Marathi, Gurarati, Punjabi, Hindi, and English.
By Using UAN Number
- Visit the official website of UAN.
- You might view UAN login, forget password, and UAN activation at the upper right side of the UAN login website.
- Input your UAN Number and Password.
- Check your EPF balance by clicking on services, “EPF Passbook/Statement”.
- You can download this statement, print it, or send it to your email ID. You can also see it online.
By downloading EPF statement
- First, you need to login to the website of the EPFO services, by using the official website
- To check the EPF balance, first you need to register.
- An ID proof is required for EPFO registration such as registered mobile number and member name.
- After finishing the registration, you can view the EPF balance in the EPF download section.
- You need to click on PF account statement or EPF passbook.
- After that download the EPF statement in the PDF format.
By Using EPF Balance Passbook
- The first step to check EPF balance passbook is to visit the website
- In the website of the EPF, you require to choose the state of EPF office, where your EPF account is maintained.
- In the list of cities, select the city office related to that state.
- The next step is to enter your unique and valid account number of the EPF.
- The final step is to click on “Submit” button. An SMS containing the details of your EPF balance will be sent to your registered mobile number.
How To Find The Status of Your EPF Balance and Claim?
- Choose the EPFO office, who maintained your EFP account. Provide your PF account number.
- If your account does not have any extension field, then leave this field blank.
- The next step is to input your registered mobile number and name. Along with the PF number, the given mobile number is also recorded.
- The EPF balance details will be sent to your registered mobile number after successful submission of above details.
There are four ways to check EPF balance by using the UAN number. EPF scheme is better than Fixed Deposit or Bank saving because, the rate of interest is high in the EPF. It is 8.5%. But the rate of interest for bank is 4.45. Also, EPF income is tax free.
Important Points Relating to EPF Balance
- You can use only 1 mobile number for UAN/EPFO website registration and for checking the EPF balance.
- By using the one mobile number, you can see and manage ten PF accounts balance like transfer of PF etc.
- Form 13 is required to add extra phone numbers for EPF.
- A member might have various PF accounts. Therefore, employees need to update KYC at member website or UAN website.
- Without the Aadhar number, monthly contributions are not accepted by EPFO.
Transfer of EPF Balance
PF claim or PF transfer is also known as EPF balance transfer. You can make an online request for it at OCTP (Online Claim Transfer) website by filling the form 13. The EPF balance transfer is also available offline. But it takes much time.
The employee can keep a track of the status of EPFO claim with PF number or claim id. Within one week your EPF claim settlement is transfer to your bank account.
Checking EPF Balance for PF Accounts Which Are Not Operating
From the year 2011, EPFO does not pay interest to those accounts which are not operated. This means where contribution is not given by the employer because of changing the job. If the employee finds a new job in a new company, the employer of the old company stops contributing for the EPF. Also, the employee gets a new account for PF. But by using the UAN number, all those accounts can be linked. Now money transfer for EPF can be made after receiving the request for it.
Procedure for Changing the Name of the Member in the PF Account
During checking EPF balance, the member needs to provide correct details at the website of the EPFO. It includes PF number, mobile number and name. If the name of the member does not match, you cannot find the information related to EPF balance. The correct way for changing the name of the member in the PF account is to meet the EPFO commissioner by going to the EPFO office.
EPF Balance Customer Care Number
In case, if you find any problem in downloading the EPF statement or checking the EPF balance, then you need to dial the EPFO toll-free number 1800118005. The next step is to register your complaint at this number. You can also contact the EPFO officials on the social media. For example, by using the Facebook and Twitter page of EPFO. You will send your complaints and EPFP officials will solve your queries.
TDS/Taxes on EPF Balance
There is no any limit to transfer the existing PF account balance to another EPF account. If you don’t have PAN then there is twenty percent tax on EPF balance. And if you have PAN, then tax is ten percent on the EPF balance. If you submit the form 15h or 15g, then tax is not deducted on EPF balance. Also, there is no TDS if EPF balance is below fifty thousand rupees.
Annual EPF Salary Slip for Employers
For getting the tax related benefits provided by the Indian Government, employers can download the annual EPF salary slips.
Steps to download annual EPF salary slips
- First you need to visit the website.
- The next step is to click on “Our Services” and then click on “For Employers”.
- The next step is to click on “Our Services” and then click on “For Employers”.
- Then click at “Employer E-Sewa website”.
- And finally, you download EPF balance slips.
How to Register for The EPF Balance?
The HR team of the company will take care of EPF registration along with other facilities and ESI medical services insurance. On the EPFO portal, the new companies or startups companies will register as employer. Employers can settle claims online and pay EPF payment online.
EPF Balance Trends
- For EPFO, Aadhar is mandatory. ALL the holders of PF can update Aadhar at the website.
- The rate of PF is decreased by 1.5 percent. For example, 8.8 % to 8.65%.
- 81 million is the minimum target for seeding Aadhar number with EPF balance.
- The maximum contribution for EPFO is increased from 15,000 to 20,000.