Eco-mark is a marking scheme started by the bureau of Indian standards in 1991 for the products which are ecologically safe or having a least impact on the eco-system. These eco-friendly products are denoted with an eco-mark ensuring that these products are compliant with the standards prescribed by Bureau of Indian standards (BIS). It is basically done to identify the environmental friendly products and to reduce the environmental & health hazards which are increasing day by day due to industrialization. This mark is awarded to those consumer goods which meet both the prescribed environmental criteria and quality standards set by BIS.
Objectives of Eco-mark Scheme
The objectives of Eco-mark scheme are as follows –
What Is Included In Our Package?
Criteria for Awarding Eco-mark Certification
Eco-mark is awarded after passing particular criteria i.e. checking the products from raw material extraction to manufacturing to disposal at the end. There are certain environmental levels and aspects on which the product is examined and evaluated.
The same are given below –
- Products which spread less pollution in comparison to other products in production, usage and disposal stage.
- Products which can be recycled, recyclable made from recycled products or bio-degradable in comparison to other products.
- It should make important contribution in saving non-renewable and natural resources.
- Products must contribute to a reduction of the adverse primary criteria which has the highest environmental impact associated with the use of the product.
Eco-mark Product General Requirements
The product general requirements are as follows –
It should be compliant with the pollution control acts.
It should increase the environmental awareness among consumers along with safety, quality and performance of the product.
Eco-mark Product Specific Requirements
Following issues have been taken into account while determining the product specific requirements –
Product process including source of raw material
Positive impact on the environment
Suitable for recycling or packaging
Product disposal and its container
Energy conversation in the production of the product.
Use of natural resources
Utilization of waste and recycled materials.
Effect & extent of waste arising from the production process.
List of Eco-mark Products
The government of India has listed 16 product categories which are covered under this Eco-mark scheme for which Eco-mark certification is provided.
The 16 product categories are as follows –
Soaps & detergents
Architectural paints & powder coatings
Procedure to Obtain Eco Mark Certification
The procedure to obtain Eco mark Certification is as follows -
Fees for Eco-mark Certification
The following fees needs to be paid to the bureau of Indian standards (BIS) in order to get Eco-mark certification –
- Non-refundable application fee of Rs.500 per application form
- Testing charges of independent laboratories drawn during the inspection
- Annual license fee of Rs.500 per license
- Renewal license fee of Rs.300 per application
- Marking fees