Short Validity Passport
What is Short Validity Passport (SVP)?
Short validity passport is a passport issued to the individuals to travel abroad and it is usually issued for a shorter period ranging from 1 to 5 years.
Circumstances under which Short Validity Passport is issued to the Applicant
- Issued to students – Short validity passports are issued to students in case they want to travel abroad for the purpose of appearing in international examinations like SAP, TOEFL etc. These passports are issued to students in an urgent situation when the applicant unable to apply through the regular channels as normal passport procedure takes much time in processing the application. In such cases, the application form is processed under Tatkaal scheme along with the proof of urgency and the verification certificate as per rules & regulations.
- Issued in case of non-delivery of passport – Short validity passports are also issued to those individuals whose passports are not delivered and lost in transit. After completion of certain formalities, these passports can be extended to a full term passport (10 year passport)
- Issued in a pending criminal case – Short validity passport is also issued in case any applicant has a criminal case pending against him/her and wants to travel abroad, the applicant can apply for a short validity passport. In such cases, applicant needs to take written permission from the court where the case is pending. In a pending criminal case, passport is issued to the applicant for 1 year only after taking the court permission.
- In case of Indian residing overseas – Indian nationals residing overseas can also apply for short validity passport in case they want to travel to India for a short period of time. In such case, passports is approved & issued immediately to the applicant for a time-period of 1 year from the issuing date.
Documents Required for Short Validity Passport
Documents required for short validity passport are as follows (Any 3 to be submitted) –
- Aadhaar card
- Telephone bill
- Water bill
- Gas connection proof
- Rent agreement
- Voter Id card
- PAN card
- Bank account passbook
- Railway identity card
- Arms license
- Freedom fighter identity card
- Photo identity card
- Income tax assessment order
- Parent’s passport copy (In case of minor)
- Spouse’s passport copy
- SC/ST/OBC certificate
- Municipal birth certificate
- Pension document
How to Apply for Short Validity Passport?
The process of short validity passport is given below –
Fee Structure for Short Validity Passport
The processing fees for short validity passport is as follows –
|Tatkaal category||3000 or $50 or €40|
Validity of Short Validity Passport
Short validity passport is valid for a short period ranging from 1 to 5 years depending on the circumstances of the applicant. Short validity passport is normally issued for a time period of 1 year.
Renewal of Short Validity Passport
Short validity passport can be renewed for a maximum period of 10 years on assistant passport officer’s discretion.