What is Diplomatic/Official Passport?
Official passports are issued to those persons who travelled abroad for official purpose. Via this document, persons travelled abroad under the Indian government protection. Diplomatic passports are offered to diplomats and consuls appointed abroad on government behalf. These documents can also use as proof of identity and address.
Documents Required for Diplomatic/Official Passport
For Existing Passport (If any):
- Diplomatic/Official Passport (i.e. in Re-Issue applications): Original Diplomatic/Official Passport for cancellation.
- If the same is kept in the safe custody of the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), bring the original Surrender/Safe Custody Certificate.
- If the same has been cancelled by MEA, bring the Original Cancellation Certificate.
- Ordinary Passport: Certificate of Safe Custody (in applicants department).(Non-disclosure of already held passport(s) is an offence under Passports Act, 1967)
- Official retiring in less than six months from the date of application, is required to give an undertaking from his/ her office that he/ she will surrender dip./ off. passport to his/ her office immediately after return.
Steps to Apply for Diplomatic/Official Passport Online
Kindly follow the below steps to apply for Official/Diplomatic passport online –
- Go to the official portal of Passport Seva by clicking this link - https://portal2.passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/welcomeLink
- Register yourself on Passport Seva portal by clicking “Register Now” link on the home page.
- Registered applicant will be provided with a user ID and password after online registration. By using User-Id and password, you can easily login to your account on the website.
- Click on the link “Apply for Diplomatic/Official Passport”.
- Fill the required details in the form and submit the same online.
- Take the printout of the filled application form by clicking on “View/Print Submitted Form” link available under “View saved/submitted applications page”.
Bring the printed copy of the online application form with you and submit the same along with the required documents to -
Consular, Passport and Visa Division (CPV), or Passport office attached to your present address
Note – Official/ Diplomatic passports are issued only to individuals holding diplomatic status or deputed by government of India for official trip abroad.