What is Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN)?
The Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN) is a Central Sector Scheme launched by the central government to provide income support to landholding farmers' families in India. This scheme provides additional financial assistance to farmers for the purchase of various inputs for agriculture and allied activities, as well as for their domestic needs.
The Government of India is providing 100% funding under this scheme. It aims to support farmers' financial needs for agricultural inputs necessary to ensure proper crop health and output.The State Government and the UT administration identify eligible farming families under the scheme's guidelines for financial support. After identifying the beneficiaries, the funds are directly deposited into their bank accounts.
Eligibility criteria under PM KISAN
All landholder farmer families are eligible for benefits under this scheme. According to the scheme's guidelines, a landholder farmer's family consists of a husband, wife, and minor children who own cultivable land as recorded in the respective State or UT's land records. Beneficiaries are identified through the existing land ownership system.
Essential documents required for PM KISAN registration
- Aadhaar card
- Citizenship proof
- Land ownership documents
- Bank account details
Requirements to avail the benefits from PM KISAN
PM KISAN Aadhaar Link
Farmers must possess an Aadhaar card in order to benefit from the PM KISAN scheme. Farmers who do not have an Aadhaar card cannot enrol or register as beneficiaries under the PM KISAN scheme. The instalment is distributed exclusively through the Aadhaar-seeded database.
Beneficiaries can link their Aadhar card to the PM KISAN portal's bank account by following the steps below:
- Navigate to the PM KISAN web portal.
- Scroll down to the 'Farmer’s Corner' section and click on the option 'Edit Aadhaar Failure Records”.
- A New page will be open to edit the Aadhaar details. On the webpage, click the 'Aadhar Number' option, enter your Aadhaar number and captcha, and click the 'Search' button.
- The farmers' dashboard will open, and they can modify or update their Aadhar number by clicking the 'Submit' button.
PM KISAN Credit Card
In 1988, the government launched the Kisan Credit Card (KCC) scheme, which enables farmers to obtain credit on a timely basis. The KCC scheme was designed to provide farmers with short-term formal credit. The KCC has been linked to the PM KISAN scheme by the government.
PM Kisan Credit Cards has been integrated into the PM KISAN scheme. Beneficiaries of PM KISAN can apply for KCC cards and use them to receive low-interest short-term loans. The loans made to farmers through the KCC card give them a credit limit for equipment purchases and other expenses.
The PM KISAN credit card has the following features:
- Loans are offered at a low-interest rate of 2% to 4%.
- Provision of collateral-free loans up to Rs.3 lakh.
- In-built crop insurance coverage.
- Flexible repayment loans option
Beneficiaries of the PM KISAN system can apply for PM KISAN credit cards by following the steps below –
- Navigate to the PM KISAN web portal.
- Scroll down to the'Farmers Corner' section and click the 'Download KCC Form' link.
- The 'Loan Application Form for Agricultural Credit for Beneficiaries of PM KISAN' will open. Farmers are required to download this form.
- Complete the form to the best of your ability. To apply for KCC cards, farmers must fill out the form and pick the option 'Issue of fresh KCC' under the option 'B' section.
- Once completed, the form must be submitted to the farmer's bank along with the required documents.
- The bank will process the request and issue the KCC card to the farmer.
Alternatively, beneficiaries can visit the bank's website to apply for a PM KISAN credit card, complete the online application form for the KCC card, and submit it. The bank will process the application and issue the PM KISAN beneficiaries with the KCC card.
Benefits to be provided under PM KISAN Scheme
The PM KISAN scheme provides income support of Rs.6000 per year to all farmer families who own cultivable land, regardless of the size of their landholdings.The sum of Rs.6000 is paid in three equal instalments each year in the following manner –
Period of payment
Ways to apply for PM KISAN Scheme
Farmers can apply for this scheme in any of the following ways:
- Eligible farmers can apply for this scheme by submitting the necessary details to revenue officials, village Patwaris, or other designated persons or agencies.
- Eligible farmers can also visit their local Common Service Centres (CSC’s) for registration upon payment of fees under this scheme, or
- Additionally, eligible farmers can self-register on the PM KISAN portal via the Farmers Corner. Farmers can use this link to verify the status of their registration.
The following information is required for registration:
- Category (SC/ST).
- Mobile telephone number.
- Aadhaar Number (in the absence of an Aadhaar Number, the AadhaarEnrollment Number and any other prescribed document for identification, such as a voter identity card, a driver's licence, and NREGA job card, or any other identification issued by the Central/State/UT Government).
- The applicant's bank account number.
Categories not eligible under PM KISAN Scheme
The following types of beneficiaries will be ineligible to receive benefits under the scheme:
- Each and every Institutional Landowner.
- Families of farmers who fall into one or more of the following categories –
- Holders of constitutional offices in the present and past.
- Ministers(Present or Former), State Ministers, District Panchayat Chairpersons, Mayors of Municipal Corporations, LokSabha or Rajyasabha members, or State Legislative Assemblies or State Legislative Councils.
- Each retired and serving employee and officers of Central or State Government Ministries, Offices, or Departments and their field units, as well as PSE’s of central/state government, and associated offices or autonomous institutions under government, as well as employees of local bodies. (With the exception of Class IV/Multi-Task Staff/Group D employees).
- Each individual who paid income tax in the previous assessment year.
- Each superannuated or retired pensioner receiving a monthly pension of at least Rs.10,000 (excluding Class IV/Multi-Tasking Staff/Group D employees)
- Professionals such as doctors, engineers, lawyers, chartered accountants and architects registered with professional bodies and practising their professions.
PM KISAN online registration process
The following procedure applies to online registration for the PM KISAN scheme –
- Begin with visiting the PM KISAN portal.
- Scroll down to the 'Farmer’s Corner' section and click the 'New Farmer Registration' link.
- The page titled 'New Farmer Registration Form' will open. The registration page will check to see if the farmer is already registered in the portal.
- To verify, the farmer must select the option for 'Rural Farmer Registration' or 'Urban Farmer Registration' and input the Aadhar Number, the state from the drop-down list, the Captcha, and click on the 'Search' button.
- If the farmer's data is not available in the database, the page will display a confirmation and prompt you to'register yourself'. A farmer must select the 'Yes' tab.
- The farmer's registration form will open, prompting him or her to enter personal and banking information and click the ‘save' button.
- The farmer must next follow the on-screen directions to complete the registration process.
PM KISAN Mobile app registration process
Farmers can also register themselves by downloading the PMKISAN mobile app from the Google Play store. Farmers can download the PMKISAN mobile app directly from the Google Play Store or via their mobile browser by visiting the PMKISAN website and clicking on the 'Download PMKISAN Mobile App' option in the 'Farmer’s Corner' section.
The procedure of registering for PM KISAN scheme on the PM KISAN mobile app is as follows:
- Open the PMKISAN mobile app, select your language preference from the drop-down menu, and hit the 'New Farmer Registration' button.
- Enter your Aadhar card number and Captcha code, and then click the 'Continue' button.
- Complete the registration form by entering your name, address, bank details, IFSC Code, and land information, etc., and click the 'Submit' button to complete the registration.
The respective States and UT’s will determine beneficiaries. The States or UT’s will keep track of farmers' information in either a manual or electronic format. Beneficiaries will receive their benefits directly into their bank accounts.
Any Questions? Request a callback from our Tax Experts.